Thursday, November 20, 2008

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

The third book in the "Inheritance Trilogy" (or as most people will identify with it, the Eragon books), was mostly satisfying. I very much enjoyed the story-lines, and the deepening of the characters. I could have done with several less long and detailed fight scenes though. Especially the ones between Roran and the empire. You can go with Eragon not being killed because he has magic, but come on...193 soldiers, with a hammer? I suppose if I am suspending belief for dragons and magic, I can suspend disbelief for Roran and his hammer. But it's a little to convenient for Paolini I think. It's like an easy out for him to say, "Wow...Roran lived...again!" But oh well, that's really a minor quibble.

I'm impressed with Paolini's devotion to the world of Alagesia. It echoes of the Lord of the Rings or Star Wars how he devotes an entire section of the end of the book to the analysis of the language and how he encourages one who is interested to further study the originating languages (dwarf, elvish, urgal, etc.) I can't believe that the book was supposed to be longer. For one thing, what the heck else could he have added to the story?! And for another, it could not have handled anything else.

I hope there is some restraint in the fourth book with regards to the battles, but I'm sure there will be a few good detailed ones as Eragon and his companions must march on toward killing "King" Galbatorix. We'll see how long it takes Paolini to craft the next story.

On a side note, I can't wait to pick up the third Corneila Funke book, Inkdeath. (I can't think of the name of the series right now...it's not her third book, just the third in the series). I might just have to ask for it on CD for Christmas!

No comments: